Association of Local Government Archaeological Officers


There should be a local government archaeological service operating in your local council, usually as part of the planning department. Local government archaeologists oversee and curate the historic environment in their area.. Your local government archaeologists should be your first port of call if you are planning on undertaking any archaeological work in your area. Your local government archaeology service will also curate the Historic Environment Records (HERs) in your area.


Alliance to Reduce Crime Against Heritage


A collection of bodies in association with English Heritage working to raise the profile of heritage crime and monitor and prevent damage to our historic environments. There is advice on this website about what to do if you suspect heritage crime has taken place or are witnessing crime against heritage.


Portable Antiquities Scheme


The Portable Antiquities Scheme offers online advice about caring for finds and what to do if you have found items that might be classed as 'treasure' under the Treasure Act. See their information sheets on how to conserve and protect metal finds. Log your finds on  their online database.



English Heritage

Institute for Archaeologists

The Institute for Archaeologists is the professional body for all people involved in archaeological activity throughout the UK. The Institute also accepts volunteers as associate members. Members of the institute must follow the Code of Conduct for Archaeologists. The Institute also publishes guidance and standards relating to fieldwork.


Council for British Archaeology

National charitable body for archaeology funded by membership to the organisation. The Council for British Archaeology works to promote and protect all aspects of archaeology in the UK.


The Council for British Archaeology also run training events and have funds available to support community archaeology groups.



Proud to be supported by


Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved